Yes, I said it – your best friend this season is the silk shirt. Silk is a difficult material to wear, but combined with the right pieces, can make you look like a gem. And while we’re on the topic of gems, I’ve decided to combine this season’s hottest colors with the silk shirt – jewel tones. UK Vogue defines jewel tones as inclusive of the following colors: “amethyst, sapphire, emerald, ruby, garnet and citrine”. These hues have the ability to make any outfit instantly more sophisticated and elegant. Here, I’ve provided you with five looks to wear with the infamous jewel-toned silk shirt.
1. Date Night – You can throw a silk blouse over skinny jeans or you can tuck your silk blouse under your favorite high-waisted jeans. For this look, I’ve paired a gold-colored blouse with dark denim wash skinny jeans and nude stilettos. Wear dark denim washes to make the look more dressy and add nude stilettos to elongate the legs. Since the top has an embellishment around the neck already, you want that piece to stand out – therefore, keep the rest of your outfit clean and simple.
(Top: Steffan Schraut, Winter Gold Montauk Silk Top, $255 – cheaper alternative. Bottom: Mother Denim, The Looker High Waisted Jeans, $330 – cheaper alternative. Shoes: Christian Louboutin Filo 120mm Patent Pumps, $704 – cheaper alternative)
2. Office Wear – Depending on the setting, you want to keep your outfit conservative yet trendy. The burgundy silk top is made playful with a polka dot print and a tie for embellishment. The peplum on the grey pencil skirt adds a bit of office-appropriate trendiness to the outfit. And forget your old-fashioned oxfords – try these Pierre Hardy black pumps for an extra oomph at the desk.
3. Ladies Night Out – Ah, yes – Friday night with your girls, what more could you ask for? This is the one day out of the week you can choose to be a little risqué – and that’s exactly what these gold sequined shorts will allow you to do. Since the shorts are already, well, short, you want to create a balance by pairing it with a semi-fitted deep purple silk georgette top. Gold complements any jewel tone – and why not be a little more daring and add mint pumps for the night?
(Top: Antonio Berardi, Belted-Silk Georgette Top, $468 – cheaper alternative. Bottom: AX Paris, Sequin Knicker Shorts, $32. Shoes: Nelly Shoes, Jade, $32)
4. Dinner with the Family – You’re at your family’s for dinner – or at your boyfriend’s family for dinner (eek!). Forget ‘ladies night out’ outfits – you want to be able to come back for future dinners. Keep chic in this emerald silk top with animal print palazzo pants. At first, it may look and feel overwhelming, pairing two loosely fitted pieces together, but when you’re pairing silk and chiffon together, you want the best of both fabrics to show. Add pointy black flats for a boho feel and voila – you’ve won his family over.
5. Brunch – Sunday mornings. You wake up at 12:00pm and are running late to brunch with your friends (story of my life). Throw on this navy blue silk blouse over floral skinny jeans – the floral skinny jeans will give you a pop of color and since you’re literally walking down the block (or two) down to brunch, you want to tone down the floral print with a navy blue silk blouse and nude flats. Surefire way that you won’t mind waking up at 12:00pm on Sundays anymore.
(Top: Frenchtrotters, Michele Blouse, $235 – cheaper alternative. Bottom: Current/Elliot Jeans, Floral Stiletto Skinny Ankle Crop Jeans, $185 – cheaper alternative. Shoes: Giuseppe Zanotti, Ballet Flats, $495 – cheaper alternative)