How To Get The Best Tan At Home
Self-tanning is a healthier alternative to laying in a tanning bed or even laying out in the sun. Don't get me wrong -- I love being at a beach and laying out, but I haven't had so much time to enjoy the warm weather. We're about a month away from Summer being over, but in just a couple of weeks the weather will rapidly cool off. A great way to maintain your Summer tan is by using a self-tanner. This week I reviewed two products from St. Tropez -- their bronzing mousse and bronzing spray. Both products gave me excellent tans and were so easy to use. Watch the video below or on my channel to see more of what I had to say about these self-tanners.
In order to get the best tan at home here are some tips you can follow:
- Shower, shave and exfoliate right before you apply the self-tanner. You won't be able to shower for several hours after applying the product, because that will just wash it all away. By exfoliating you're getting rid of all the dead skin and allowing the smoothest tan to form. Your tan will also last longer.
- Apply lotion to spots like the elbows, knees, ankles and hands. These areas will get very dark and by applying lotion less self-tanner will remain here.
- You can apply your self-tanner any time of the day, but I recommend applying it right before bed. The tan needs several hours to develop the full color (usually 6 to 8 hours). You also don't want to risk sweating and having the self-tanner run before the color even develops.
- Wash your hands immediately after (if you didn't use gloves to blend the self-tanner onto your skin). This will avoid your hands from turning orange. To avoid this completely use gloves!
- Apply lotion everyday afterwards. Keeping your skin moisturized will ensure that your tan not only looks its best, but that it lasts longer as well.